Skip to main content

Tapping Into The Importance Of Sinking Funds, Planning And Organising Your Financial Wellbeing

 

Hello lovely !! 💖

Today’s blog will be about sinking funds, upon reflecting on my blog post about financial wellness, this is an extension of ways we can go about the mission to improve financial wellness.

Including a step by step guide + plan, this enables us to break down important points to help comprehend the crucial uses of sinking funds.

🤞🏽I hope this blog enforces you to become disciplined and willing to improving financial well-being, for yourself and future.

Let’s tap in;

Sinking funds are a great way to get ahead in taking your budgeting and managing of your finances to the next level.

It’s also about planning ahead for future expenses so that you are content and have peace of mind when the time comes.

Sinking fund vs emergency funds

In my post on financial well-being, I point out the idea of having an emergency fund of 3-9 months. It’s important to develop this first before starting your sinking funds. You can have an emergency fund as a sinking fund, However I think it's important to separate these as sinking funds can get more confusing. I really want to stress behind the idea of having 3-6 months of finances saved and having that put aside.

Sinking funds is essential needs and wants that are personal to you. I think it is safer to work towards an emergency fund first, god forbid you don't lose your job.

In a time of uncertainty, we cannot afford to not have an emergency plan or exit.

This applies for emergencies such as medical care, money to disappear, food and water stock, home repairs, car finances. Your emergency fund should be reserved for something that comes at you unexpectedly.

Once you have this in place, choose 6 important categories that you would love to contribute to your sinking funds. (Wants/Needs)

Step by step finance planning

  1. Decide what you are saving for

  2. Determine how much you can afford to contribute. How much do you NEED?

  3. Choose your account type/cash?

  4. Set up automatic deposits each month


Why is a sinking fund prepared? Or what can it be used for?

“sinking fund is a fund of money that you intend to spend on a particular need or want at some point in the future.”

The highest age ranges that struggle the most is understandable. We aren’t the most experienced and we are only just getting our lives started and figuring out many different things. We haven’t been taught the importance of finance or how to manage it to our best advantage.

This is a gentle reminder that you aren’t alone and it’s never too late to try again. I have had countless money regrets in the past, and its very easy to dwell on those things, however I refuse to let my PAST mistakes define me now.

NOW I KNOW BETTER🧚🏽‍♀️

Why does categorising sinking funds matter?

The purpose of a sinking fund is to save cash for specific expenses. That can include one-time or irregular expenses.

Categories matter because they ensure the money gets allocated to what is a priority within your sinking fund. An elite skill of money management which is turned into a daily habit. It's also great for tracking progress overtime under any circumstance.

Benefits

☑️Lose any guilt associated with large purchases.

☑️Getting specific to make sure you cover everything you want or need

☑️You don't have to pay for things all at once, and you keep your finances in good shape

☑️setting up a sinking fund with specific categories can help you take those budgeting skills to the next level, so you’re prepared for every aspect of your life.

Example categories for sinking funds

You may be wondering, what are considered sinking funds? How many sinking funds should I have ?

Let’s not try to overwhelm ourselves. Ideally, 5-6 is a great start for choosing your important sinking funds category balance.


Final thought

A sound budgeting practice is crucial to financial stability (and wellness).

There's gonna be a time when you want to give up. Overspending, too many things happening at once, or getting stuck with unexpected expenses may occur. When you cannot cut back anymore, try different methods, adjust categories, or earn more income. It is possible for you to live the life you desire by doing this.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thrifting is the new black, sharing is caring, reusing is soothing 💕 Fast fashion says alot about your mindset👀

As a child, you know that first hand embarrassment you get when your mum drags you to the charity shops or market straight after school, just in case you saw any of your friends and got labelled negatively. From then I had such a negative connotation of second hand clothes and thought negatively about myself at the time too, I was a teenager and I hadn't learnt that lesson. As a young beautiful adult, I now take pride in sharing clothes, passing them down and visiting markets and charity stores. My family have been doing so for decades upon decades and I feel grateful to have this mindset and belief that thrifting is the new black and it is here to stay. Therefore, nothing is entirely wrong with charity shopping, thrifting, purchasing second hand clothes.  In fact, I believe it shows us the kind of mindsets we have going around. Its worrying actually, it has a sense of being careless, soulless, empty. I'm not here to blame, but from outside the box I can say that the social con...

Healthy, progressive and efficient language learning methods for overall self-development.

  Consider learning a second language for your own personal benefit, but make it fun. Gorgeous gorgeous girls expand their knowledge, find new ways to assert themselves, study, implement new and disciplined routines. If you’re that girl who loves culture, language and people this blog is for you ❤️ Whether it’s occurring from an academic perspective, trying to expand your education, or from a more creative perspective of testing yourselves, one of the top reasons to learn a language is for self-development. Nowadays, having another language gives you a much wider pool of opportunity. You could work with an international company, clients, or even get a base in another country. Without further ado .. 💁🏽 My tips for a language learning study plan Immersion is arguably the most effective way to learn a language. You should surround yourself with the language and listen to it, as much as you can. Immersion-based learning is indeed the most natural way to pick up new words, phrases, a...

Let’s Talk Sinking Funds – Staying True To Your Goals + Staying Focused

  Life can be crazy and take the maddest of turns, reality can flip 2x in the blink of an eye and heart beat. So we have to make sure we enjoy it, experience it, stay prepared for it or staying ahead. If you want to design your own future keep reading! Today’s blog will be around sinking funds and an update where I am with my sinking funds. At the start of the year I believe I mentioned it in one of my blogs that I wanted to start taking finances alot my seriously, and that meant being more serious with my hard earned money and putting it towards experiences, and things that align with my values. I was a ‘I enjoy capitalism baby and I loved splurging all of my money on makeup, clothes and shoes. When I quickly came to realise primarily during Covid that this isn't it, this can not be my life!  This was when i came across this verse of the bible;  James 4:4 You adulterous people, don’t you know that friendship with the world means enmity against God? Therefore, anyone who ...